Latest in a series of posts about the Bethlehem Police
Followers know that Gadfly loves citizen voices.
There’s a lot coming at us in the two documents from the Lehigh Valley Good Neighbors Alliance, and it comes at us in a dramatic, highly stylized, and even sensationalized way.
So Gadfly has taken a step back and tried to boil their position down to a few bullets in order to think more clearly about their position.
See if you agree with the following:
- Council passed a Community Engagement Initiative resolution July 7.
- The purpose of that resolution was to defund the police department, endangering public safety.
- In creating and passing that resolution, Council listened only to advocates of defunding.
- The advocates of defunding who spoke July 7 favored the resolution.
- Council actively ignored, discredited, suppressed (censored?) opposing views.
- The conscious, intended effect of the Community Engagement Initiative is to exclude some people from the community (such as those who oppose defunding the police).
- Council is a monolithic body, 7 people all on the same page, operating in unison as one body.
- This monolithic Council has a radical political agenda.
- Reliable sources, necessarily unnamed, have revealed that the monolithic Council has discussed defunding in secret, perhaps in violation of the Sunshine Laws.
- LVGNA activists have stopped Council’s police defunding scheme and continue to work to preserve public safety in Bethlehem.
to be continued . . .