Latest in a series of posts about Lehigh University and the Southside
Brent Stringfellow, a Lehigh University Vice President
Lehigh believes that there are a “number of benefits” in the closing of this section of Packer Ave.
The closing of this section of Packer Ave. would:
1) Enhance safety:
- huge crossing point
- 1000 at peak times
- bad at dusk
2) Better connect Lehigh with South Bethlehem to have more foot traffic supporting the businesses:
- use this to better connect Lehigh with the Southside
- reknitting parts of the north campus with the central core campus (flagpole area)
- opportunity to shift the center of gravity
- which is starting to happen with the construction of the new buildings now going on
- and Lehigh’s renewed focus on activities in Southside Bethlehem
- traditionally Packer Ave. has been a border line
- it is still an emotional border
- looking to put Lehigh closer to the community
3) Improve the pedestrian experience for everyone walking across Packer Avenue:
- walking and biking not only for the Lehigh community but the Southside community as well
- nice way to move in the east-west direction
- push the whole community toward more bike-friendly areas
- tie in as an endpoint to the upgrading of New St.
to be continued . . .