(Latest in a series of posts on Bethlehem Moments)
Bethlehem Moment Project
The Bethlehem Gadfly
Information for Possible Momentors
1) The “Bethlehem Moment” is a scene or event from Bethlehem history anywhere from 1741 to the 1960s, no more than 20 typed lines, that can be read in approximately 2 minutes, that will be presented at the beginning of City Council meetings. The Moments will be archived in Council minutes and published on the Gadfly blog, as well as perhaps other places.
2) The purpose of the Bethlehem Moment in a town that has been the scene of so much important history and has three historical districts is to encourage everyone to learn more about that history. (For examples, see: https://thebethlehemgadfly.com/category/bethlehem-moments/.)
3) Willingness and interest are the most important things. You don’t have to feel you know anything at the beginning. A list of resources will be available. There will be people with whom to consult.
4) Help will be provided finding a topic, researching it, and writing the Moment if needed.
5) The topic is open, but you should clear it with the coordinator.
6) Good topics often start with a question: who? what? when? why?
7) Pick a topic that you know about, or, better yet, one that you want to learn about or feel that it is important that others know about.
8) There is no especial need to pick big topics, obvious topics, well-know topics; aspects of our history that are little-known or hidden, that we might not have even heard of, might be better.
9) Likewise, you should feel no especial need to choose a celebratory, feel-good topic – our dark moments are part of our history too and equally important and illuminating.
10) It’s best if you deliver your Moment at City Council yourself, but others can read it for you if necessary or if you prefer.
11) City Council meets at Town Hall the 1st and 3rd Tuesdays of each month.
12) You might not feel that you have anything to say at the beginning, but you will probably struggle to confine yourself to 20 lines/2 minutes after you have done some research.
13) The Bethlehem Moment is a project aimed at fostering a sense of community. You should feel it an honor to do one. We hope you will see it as fun.
14) After, we hope you will be an Ambassador for the project & encourage others to participate.
15) please contact:
Bethlehem Moments Schedule 2019
July 2 Lynn Rothman
July16 John Smith
August 6 (Musikfest)
August 20 Mary Toulouse
September 3 Olga Negron (tentative)
September 17 Jim Petrucci