(43rd in a series of posts on candidates for election)
Paige Van Wirt is a candidate for the one of three 4yr seats on City Council, running against Michael Colon, Carol Ritter, David Saltzer, J. William Reynolds.
Paige Van Wirt’s question: infrastructure (4.5 mins.)
“Many of the questions submitted on social media concern infrastructure — city road repairs, highway maintenance, new construction, etc. Can you speak to how you will address those concerns if elected.”
- there’s a definite mindset different from a business mindset now
- we just keep kicking the can down the road
- getting a windfall from Casino Transfer Tax now but must plan better for infrastructure
- don’t annex other communities into our sewer capacity
- her requests for sidewalk repair have been denied
- need a pilot program for sidewalk repairs
- walkability has been neglected
- walkability drives people to the City
Saltzer agreed that there should be grants for sidewalks and suggested that grouping projects together could reduce cost (min. 2:28). Carpenter remembered that the Casino was supposed to help us, but now we’re behind on important things. Why are the fundamentals suffering? (min. 3:48).
Paige Van Wirt’s closing comment (1.5 mins.)
- re-introducing ethics ordinance
Look for more on Van Wirt as she responds to other candidate presentations and participates in group answers on such topics as their unique qualities, transparency, neighborhoods.