Urgent message from Kim Carrell-Smith and Carolina Hernandez:
The Great Southside Sale 2019 is coming up THIS SATURDAY, and we are in desperate need of at least 50 more volunteers. Would you have time to help for a shift or two? The sale proceeds provide field trips to Southside schools, support three nationally recognized Homework Clubs, and many other youth programs and projects. At the bottom of this message is some info on what the sale does for our community.
The Great Southside Sale 2019
JUNE 1, 10 am-3:30 pm
East 4th and Buchanan Streets
Shifts when we need the most volunteers are setup from 7:30-9:30 am, and 9-11:30 am when the work is most intense. However, we would be happy to have you join us ANY time, all day long.
- 7:30 am – 9:30 am Setup: Distributing boxes, unpacking, and organizing merchandise.
- 9 am – 11:30 am Opening: Crowd control, unpacking boxes, organizing
- 11 am – 1:30 pm Recovery: Reorganizing, folding, and crowd control after the blitz.
- 1 pm – 3 pm Winding Down: Organizing, folding, assisting with bag sale.
- 3 pm – 5 pm Clean Up: Packing boxes, loading trucks, collecting trash.
Please sign up for shifts here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScbzwhVJ_mQdcyrOXZRseeEdMWsMV6_zT6KVpbYhIxexZIelw/viewform
Thanks for considering our plea, and for sharing this with your friends, co-workers, communities of faith, clubs, neighbors, etc.
Please help us find willing hands for this fun, rewarding day!
Kim Carrell-Smith and Carolina Hernandez, Assistant Dean and Director, Community Service Office, Co-Directors of The Great Southside Sale
WHAT IS THE GREAT SOUTHSIDE SALE AND WHAT DOES IT DO?
The huge sale is mostly comprised of Lehigh Moveout donations from students as they pack up to leave at the end of the year; the results are
- part social justice
- part environmental
- and part just plain great entertainment.
Volunteers include high school and college students, Lehigh faculty, staff and administration, and MANY community members, from teachers to principals, ministers to storekeepers, parents to CEOs. Join us!
Last year the sale raised over $20,000 on great reusable items that stayed out of the waste stream. Most things are priced between 25 cents and a few dollars, which allows everyone to buy great quality goods with dignity, and 100% of the money raised supports youth programs, three nationally-recognized homework clubs, and school field trips for Southside children, all administered by the Community Service Office at Lehigh.
This sale builds community in many ways; come meet new folks, do a good deed, and have a blast!
- The link to volunteer individually or as a group is https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScbzwhVJ_mQdcyrOXZRseeEdMWsMV6_zT6KVpbYhIxexZIelw/viewform
You know Gadfly is all over activities that build community!